During a trip to Myanmar, you should follow some simple rules of behavior related to traditions and customs of the country.
- Take off your shoes when you enter in a temple or Buddhist site or in a private home.
- Wear modest clothing: if you can avoid shorts, mini-skirts or short vest.
- Never touch someone on the head, including the children.
- Don’t take pictures with Buddha images
- Never turn your feet to something or someone. If happens apologize with the person even if you accidentally touch it with one foot.
- Don’t talk about politics with the locals unless they’re starting a conversation.
- Ask the permission if you want to photograph someone.
Practical tips to visit Bagan
- Wear the flip flops that are comfortable to remove when you visit the temples
- Bring a hat to shelter yourself from the sun and remember to take it off when you enter the temples
- Bring a supply of water to drink during the trip: Bagan in fact is one of the hottest areas of Myanmar
Uses and costumes at the table of the restaurant:
- Usually the fork is held in the left and is used to put food in the spoon with which you eat
- The inhabitants of Myanmar aren’t used to chatting while eat: respects their silence and enjoy the food
- If Myanmar friends invite you to the restaurant they will pay the bill to be hospitable, reciprocated the good gesture by offering a dinner.